The Animated Dreams 2016 animation festival will be taking place from 13th to 17nd of November 2016 and will comprise:
Films meeting the festival requirements must:
The deadline for submission of films is 1st of August 2016. Registration forms must be filled in by this date. Additional material (information about the film, biographies, synopses etc.) on CD and a sample copy of the film on DVD must be sent to the PÖFF (Black Nights Film Festival) office by this date.
Applicants for competitive and non competitive programmes are requested to submit the film and supplementary materials at the online submissions page available at: http://poff.blackmarketonline.eu/form/ and select “AD 2016 Entry” for category.
By submitting a film to the festival the applicant agrees by the submissions deadline to:
• fill and submit the entry form via the festival’s online submission form
• deliver a screener (or DVD) with English subtitles to the festival office or provide a screening link with a password via the online submissions page
• deliver additional materials (biography and filmography of Director, stills of the film, synopsis of the film, trailer and poster art-work if already available) by means specified by the festival
• acknowledge that “selected status” in the online submission form (Visitor Page) does not guarantee confirmation of the submitted film to the festival programming due to fee, print, rights availability issues at Estonian territory or any other factor
Please send films and additional material to the following address:
Black Nights Film Festival
Submitters will be informed as to whether their film has been selected for the programme by 1 October 2016. Films cannot be withdrawn from the programme once submitters have officially confirmed their participation.
Entries submitted through postage, e-mail or any other form except the online submission form are not considered eligible for selection.
The director of the festival will appoint an international jury consisting of at least three members. None of the jury members may be involved in the production or distribution of any of the competing films.
Upon the confirmation of the film to the Festival’s Competitive or Non Competitive Sections the applicant agrees to:
• Provide trailer of the film either on DVD, online with the non-expiring link or HD- resolution file
• Deliver materials for localisation (dialogue lists in original language and in English, spotting list, screener), and poster artwork
• Grant the permission to include the screener in the festival’s video library reserved for jury and accredited industry members only (restricted access)
• Materials have to be delivered digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org by stating the English title and the local title of the film in the e-mail subject header. The festival does not accept deliveries in hard drive, USB or any physical format as well as file sharing programs or services (Dropbox, Google Drive, Box etc).
The jury is obliged to issue the following awards:
• Grand Prix for the Best Film;
• Prize for the Best Sound;
• Prize for the Best Abstract/Experimental Animation;
• Up to three Special Mentions
Delivery of materials
All costs related to the shipping of the screener copy (DVD) and publicity materials are paid by the submitter or film representative.
Submitted preview copies may be returned to the submitter or forwarded only at the submitters expense. All packages must be clearly marked with the title of the film, the sender’s / submitters name, return address and telephone and the festival address:
Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival
Attn: Animated Dreams
Telliskivi 60A, 3rd floor
Tallinn 10412, Estonia
Costs related to the shipping of the screening copies to the festival are paid by the festival, unless otherwise agreed upon. Return shipping costs are the responsibility of the submitter or film representative or a party appointed by them.
The festival will return or forward the screening copies within 14 days after the end of the festival unless instructed otherwise by the submitter or film representative.
The cost of delivery of review copies of films (DVDs) and related materials shall be borne by those submitting them. Likewise, the cost of returning or forwarding them shall be borne by those submitting them.
The festival shall bear all costs related to the storage and insurance of screening copies while they are in Estonia.
To ensure the highest quality of the presentation of confirmed films, all screening copies must be in high quality Blu Ray, DCP or technically inspected film format with appropriate quality and soundtrack, and English subtitles. Damaged or dubbed copies, non compatible DCPs, files on broken hard drives as well as consumer formats are refused.
The festival reserves the right to demand screening copies of competition films free of charge including alternative keys to DCP copies or new DCP packages if quality standards are not being met. These include missing subtitles or wrong soundtracks. Thus, the festival has the right to refuse and withdraw the screening of the film in the competitions if above-mentioned guidelines are not being strictly followed.
DCPs have to be provided either as Interop with subtitles burned in or STMP with subtitle tracks with clearly stated DCP format, aspect ratio, subtitle and soundtrack information marked on the casing and drive (or accompanying tech sheet).
The festival may invite members of the crew of any film in any section providing the travel, accommodation and/or festival accreditation.